Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sleep Training?

Joseph is 24 weeks old - nearly six months and he usually sleeps pretty well at nights. Unfortunately he got sick a couple weeks ago with his first cold (nothing major...just stuffiness and a croupy cough). He's better now, but ever since his sleep has gone out the window. At least I thought so until last night.

When he was sick he was only sleeping 2 to 3 hours a strectch and would end up in bed with me pretty early in the night. Once he got better I thought he would go back to his normal 5 -6 hours like before. Boy, was I wrong!! (gulible Christina) Instead, he got worse! We have a pretty normal routine - bath, massage, pajamas, nursing, singing, bed time. But, now it was every time I put him down he would wake up. It wasn't until I would lie down next to him & let him nurse that he would fall asleep for more than 30 minutes.

Last night I finally decided to start swaddling him again. I've done it before and he seemed to like it for awhile, but by 3 months he didn't seem to care for it any more. Anyway, I dressed him in nothing but his diaper and a short sleeve onesie and wrapped him in a blanket. He went down at 7:15, woke up slightly at 7:50, but after rubbing him for a minute or so he settled and slept until nearly 2:30 in the morning! That's 7 hours!! I couldn't believe it. Of course, by this time I was too tired to stay awake to nurse him, so I brought him in with me. We slept until about 5:30. What a great night! I hope it lasts or gets better!

No comments:

Post a Comment